As you have discovered through this course, nurses are influential members of the community and the political system. Therefore, for the purposes of this assignment you will identify a problem or concern in your community, organization, etc. that has the capacity to be legislated. You will conduct research and state a proposal. Through the legislative process, your proposal for the problem or concern may influence an idea for change into a law.
First, refer to the “How a Bill Becomes a Law” media.
Then, view the “Bill to Law Process” to watch the scenario.
After viewing the scenario, refer to the “Legislative Assignment.” You will need to save the document first in order to use it.
Submit the assignment to the instructor. You also reserve the right to submit your completed proposal to the respective government official. However, this is optional. If you select to submit your proposal as a part of the legislative process, refer to “Find Your Representative” or research the contact information on your own.
( 600-700 words. Find a topic that actually can be legislated (made into a law). It could be a health issue in your community. An example of a problem that troubles me is why restaurant food that is left over is thrown out each night instead of saving and offering it to soup kitchens when 25% of our population has “food insecurity”. Such a topic could be developed into a proposal following the steps on the form.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.)
Legislative Worksheet (SBAR Format) –
How a Bill Becomes a Law
SITUATION: IS THIS SOMETHING THAN CAN BE LEGISLATED?
- Identify the problem/concern:
- State your proposal/idea.
BACKGROUND: DO YOUR RESEARCH
- Include studies, reports, personal experience, or anecdotal stories related to your proposal.
- Has there been similar legislation introduced and/or passed in other states? If so, include it.
ASSESSMENT: FINANCES AND STAKEHOLDERS
- Identify financial impact if any (e.g., added costs, cost savings, increased revenue):
- Identify stakeholder groups that would support this bill:
- Identify people/groups that would oppose this bill:
Make an appointment with your legislator to discuss your proposal.
Use the following coupon code :