Using the Practicum Experience for Professional Growth
“I am personally convinced that one person can be a change catalyst, a ‘transformer’ in any situation, any organization. Such an individual is yeast that can leaven an entire loaf. It requires vision, initiative, patience, respect, persistence, courage, and faith to be a transforming leader” (Covey, 2009, p. 287).
Your practicum experiences in NURS 8400 and NURS 8410 have provided opportunities to gain knowledge, perspective, and skills that bolster your specialty area practice. They have laid a foundation for reflecting on your own strengths and challenges as a nurse leader in a dynamic workplace.
In this course, you continue to engage in your practicum experience, with specific attention to systems-related issues that contribute to challenges at the aggregate level, the change process, and leadership. This Discussion serves as a springboard for the practicum assignment you are to develop this week. Be sure to view and consider the instructions for this week’s practicum assignment in preparation for the Discussion.
- Reflect on your practicum experiences in NURS 8400 and NURS 8410. Drawing on your knowledge of systems thinking, what problems have you noticed in your practicum setting that may be related to systems issues?
- How would you outline a viable approach to planning and implementing change to address a systems-related change? What are the essential steps and focal points from beginning to end? What is the role of leadership when it comes to change efforts? Think about the information presented in the Learning Resources, and consider insights you have gained that may be useful as you explore the process of intentional change. Conduct additional research using current literature to further your analysis.
- Assess the professional growth (including leadership development) you have attained through your practicum experiences during previous courses in the DNP program.
- Begin to develop your plan for the practicum, including three learning objectives.
By tomorrow Tuesday 2/26 6 pm write a minimum of 550 words essay in APA format with at least 3 references (see list or required readings below). Include the level one headers as numbered below:
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
1) Describe key aspects of your suggested approach to planning for and implementing change. What are two or three essential steps or strategies that deserve particular attention as you strive to successfully translate evidence into practice? Provide your rationale.
2) Assess the influence of your practicum experiences on your professional growth. Identify areas for improvement to focus on during this course. Given what you have learned in previous courses and through your professional experiences, what questions or concerns do you have regarding how to identify and assess systems-related issues, as well as how to plan for and implement change?
3) Summarize your planned practicum experiences and how you expect these experiences to advance your professional skills. Support your choices with documented evidence from the AACN Essentials, professional standards, and specialty guidelines (see attached file on “The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice” ESSENTIAL IV).
Use the following coupon code :